Monday, January 3, 2011

2011 Is Here!


According to the Mayan Calendar the world is to cease to exist in 2012. Maybe that's why I'm happy it's 2011; I might not be feeling this way one year from now.... Anyway, it's already the 3rd of January and time to post even if I don't have much to say--which I don't (I know: ??).

I watched The Social Network this weekend--a very good film--and found it oddly synchronicitious (hope that's a word) that a popular Tweet today was one stating Facebook's current value of $50b. Yep, b is for billions, folks.

Ok, what does this have to do with guitar...? Absolutely nothing besides the fact that there are countless guitarists and guitar groups on the Book. Here's one...another...and another.

So here's what's good for this post: I'm saying "Hi", really, "Happy New Year"--and as I am currently prone to say on YouTube--"Have a shreddin' '11". Oh, and speaking of the Tube, I promise by next post to have the vid up on my channel for last post's lesson on melodic sequences (say that last sentence real fast. It's a tongue-twister).

So for now that's it. But before I bow and take my leave (of this blog, not of my senses; I took leave of them years ago), I must mention that I entered yet another guitar-playing contest. Yes, I was up New Years' Eve filming my video-entry, only to realize it wasn't due until New Years' Day.

Well, nuff 'said. Here's my entry to the now-closed Bernie Rico Jr. '30 Seconds of Fame' Guitar Give Away Contest...I know, I said that already, but I think it would be neat (did I say neat?) for you to see the finalists--just click on the last link to do so.

Later...


So I do have more to say.

No word yet on who won the other contests I'm in (Walliman's Fusion, Milan Polak's Blue Bug, and Guitar Addiction)...I'll keep you posted. But I might as well 'fess up regarding the 30SoF contest...I didn't place nor get mentioned in Truth In Shredding (some other contestants had their entries posted there. Marco de Cave being my fav among them).

So, since I lost that contest there will be upcoming posts about the psychological consequences of failure...But seriously, "losing" a competition or getting less-than-desired results for one's efforts is a bitter tonic. And I could sit and gripe about how I don't like how things are going down in some of these contests (Miyata not winning Guitar Idol '08 or Koliok not placing 1st for Blue Noize last month are two examples). But that would simply be a waste of time (unless, of course, it starts getting rampant).

No, this is a time to stay excited and optimistic, while evaluating oneself honestly in the context of the recent past. Some self-questions I have posed are:

  • How was my melody compared to the other entries I have seen for this contest? 
  • How are my phrases? Are they executed cleanly?
  • More importantly, is my overall entry exciting? Does it have a good flow from start to finish? Does it tell a story well? Does it have that necessary blend of emotion, adventure, good style, and good/excellent/over-the-top technique?

A time like this is also high time to review some of the many benefits of entering a guitar contest. These were some of the benefits touched on in my Dec 17 (2010) post, It's Time to Enter an Online Guitar Contest:

  • You are putting yourself on the spot. There is simply no better way to improve as a guitar player.
  • You will face-off with your own playing and directly encounter your own strengths and weaknesses.
  • You will get better IF you're positive about the whole thing, eagerly looking fwd to the next contest, and taking steps to improve your playing based on your own--and possibly others'--observations.

Guess what folks, we're all in this together. If I can't live by the advice I give then Enjoying Guitar shouldn't be online. So I'm eagerly looking forward to the next contest (Walliman mentioned two coming soon via his site) and will continue to put my best playing--and more importantly--my best attitude, forward!

...Until then (and "then" should be soon),


-6SV

No comments:

Post a Comment